Saturday, June 22, 2024

Norfolk STBG 35 - June 19, 2024

 RIDE REPORT


Wednesday, 19 June 2024, Norfolk STBG 35

Ride Leader:  Alan Cantor

35 miles, 10:00 am start from Sherborn, MA


Riders (7):  Alan, Bill Umphrey, Charley Lax, David Goldberg, Frank Calbrese, Mike Barry, and Simon Lingard.


The day was hot and humid and a few people who signed up decided not to ride - big thanks to all of them for emailing well ahead of time.


All the riders seemed prepared to deal with the elements and complete the ride, ignoring my suggestion of cutting a few miles out if needed.


I learned a lesson in assuming that we would all ride at the same pace and not need arrows. One rider texted me to say the pace was too high and that he would continue on his own.  This turned out to be OK and he did join some others for lunch.  However, it was not in the WW spirit and I will not make that mistake again.


As the ride proceeded, two groups formed.  The faster group included a single-speed bike and two e-bikes.  The slower group included the leader.  All found their way around the route successfully and indicated that they enjoyed the ride.  As far as I know, there were no mechanical or health issues.  Five riders had lunch together.


Since I rode to the start and knowing that five of the riders were well ahead of me, I took a quicker route home and missed the finish. I was really struck by three of the riders reaching out to me making sure I was OK.  This is the true spirit of WW and the CRW and I am grateful for it.


Report by Alan Cantor.


No comments:

Post a Comment