Wednesday, November 24, 2021

Desperate Wheelers - November 24, 2021

 RIDE REPORT

Wednesday, 24 November 2021, Desperate Wheelers
Ride Leaders: Jack Donohue/Wing Chow
Sweeps: Wing Chow/Jack Donohue
35 miles, 10:00 am start from Bedford, MA

Riders (2): Jack Donohue, Wing Chow.

This was almost "the Ride that Wasn't." My rider list that came out on Tuesday contained one rider besides me. Early Wednesday morning, said rider bailed. Was looking pretty lonely, until I checked the rides calendar, and two more riders had registered, plus a third who was having trouble with the signup. Wahoo! - beginning to look like a crowd. The throng dwindled as one emailed me that he wasn't coming. and two never showed by post time. This raises the philosophical question "What if you gave a ride and nobody came?" Is it still a ride? Fortunately, I didn't have to ponder this for very long as Wing showed up nearly on time.

(Note: I'm not really a zero tolerance about start time kind of guy, but my tolerance tends toward miniscule as the temperature drops. Good rule of thumb: wait x minutes beyond published start time (where x is temperature in degrees Celsius).

So Wing was appointed de facto sweep and the arrowing was flawless, which is to say non-existent. It was pretty cold and windy at the start and the first half of the ride was mainly into the wind. Wing took the lead now and again, hence the shared billing above.

We did not have a Wisteria Lane sighting as advertised. I was beginning to think I had imagined it, but thanks to Google, I found it off of Byam Road just around mile 16. OK, it's "Wisteria Road" not "Wisteria Lane," but close enough.

I wasn't able to manage the standard 13 mph pace, much less the "spirited" one, so I'm in jeopardy of being fired from WW leadership. We didn't stop anywhere and the group photo was a group selfie at the end.

Report by Jack Donohue.




No comments:

Post a Comment